Feedback is an essential part of the creative process.
It provides outside perspective and helps creatives grow.
But the most important feedback isn't external.
Here's why widening your own perspective is just as valuable:
Look Inward First
- Before seeking outside opinions, connect with your inner critic. What do you like and dislike about your work? What would you change?
- Reflect on your goals. Did you accomplish what you set out to do? How does the work line up with your artistic vision?
- Analyze your instincts. Do you feel fully satisfied with the work? Did you have to compromise your ideals? What nags at you?
Really examining your own reaction first prepares you to process external feedback. You'll have a clear sense of your aims.
Seek Diverse Opinions
- Canvas a wide range of perspectives - from casual viewers to industry experts.
- Ask open-ended questions: What was your experience? How did the work make you feel?
- Listen without ego. Let go of defensiveness. Try to understand each viewpoint.
Varied feedback from fresh eyes can reveal blind spots. It inspires accidental discoveries.
- Combine outer reflections with your inner truths. Let the feedback stir your existing sense of the work.
- Consider feedback thoughtfully. Don't reject it outright or accept it blindly. See how it aligns with your artistic vision.
- Use feedback to refine or expand your goals, not overwrite them. Stay grounded in your own creative instincts.
The most valuable creative feedback comes from a synthesis of inner reflection and outside perspectives.
Looking inward first connects you with your artistic vision and goals.
While seeking diverse opinions exposes blind spots and offers fresh takes.
But it's bringing together your own insights with those of others that allows for real growth and creativity.
Widening your viewpoint, both internally and through quality feedback, is key to elevating your creative work.
Whenever you're ready, there's 2 ways I can help you:
1. Creative Career Guides & Resources: I've compiled the most useful guides and resources to help you craft the creative career of your dreams. 100% free. 100% actionable. Topics from strategy to leadership and everything in between.
2. Premium Courses: Systems for finding and landing clients, marketing your services, creating a personal brand, and much more. Join now and get access to all new content that gets added.