Taking the time to complete a detailed time audit can provide you with incredibly valuable insights into how you actually spend your hours each day and week. ]
While you may think you have a good sense of where your time goes, the reality is often quite different once analyzed through a rigorous time tracking process.
Dedicating the focus required to perform a comprehensive time audit will enable far greater self-awareness around your time use.
With this knowledge, you can then take the necessary steps to make positive changes, reclaim wasted time, and achieve better work-life balance.
What is a Time Audit and Why is it Important?
A time audit is essentially a detailed log and categorization of how you spend every hour in a typical 1-2 week period. The goal is to break down your time into different buckets like work, personal errands, family time, health activities, leisure activities, and wasted time.
Doing a thorough time audit serves several important purposes:
- It builds self-awareness of how you actually spend your hours versus how you think you spend them. Many people are surprised where their time goes.
- It highlights areas of wasted time that can be eliminated. This is time that can be reclaimed for higher priorities.
- It shows any imbalance between different categories revealing areas you may want to focus on. For example, you may see you spend very little time on important relationships and social connections compared to work.
- It allows you to set goals around spending time differently after identifying patterns and opportunities.
Completing a time audit is like creating a map of where your time goes. It enables more intentional time management.
Steps to Conduct an Effective Time Audit
Conducting a thorough time audit requires rigor and honesty. Here is an outline of the key steps:
- Select 1-2 typical weeks. Choose a period for your audit that represents a normal week without unusual events or travel. Block off 1-2 full weeks on your calendar.
- Create a tracking system. Have an easy way to record what you do in 15 minute increments for the entire period. Use a template or app to make tracking quick. Consider involving others in your household.
- Track time diligently. Spend the chosen weeks recording how you actually spend each 15 minute segment from morning to evening. Capture work, errands, family time, leisure, health routines and any wasted time. Be honest - don't inflate productive time.
- Categorize activities. After completing your tracking, review all activities and place them into categories: Work, Health, Personal, Family, Social, Leisure, Wasted Time, etc. Make additional categories as needed.
- Analyze results. Add up the hours for each category. Calculate percentages of total time. Look at daily and weekly patterns. What activities dominate your time? Where is time wasted? What areas need more focus?
- Identify opportunities. Based on your analysis, highlight areas where you want to spend less or more time. Set goals around reclaiming wasted time and prioritizing important activities.
Helpful Tips for a Successful Time Audit
Keep these tips in mind to ensure your time audit provides maximum insight:
- Audit a typical week - not when you are on vacation or have unusual events.
- Check your tracking daily to make sure nothing is missed. Schedule reminder checks on your calendar.
- Involve family members to capture a full picture of household time.
- Don't judge how you spend time - just track and categorize objectively.
- Focus on overall patterns vs. daily variations. Some days differ but look at total hours in each category.
- Be honest with yourself when tracking wasted time - don't inflate productive time.
- Review results and reflect on what you've learned before setting goals for change.
Performing periodic time audits, even annually, can provide you with tremendous perspective on where your time goes each day and week.
Often we assume our time use aligns with our priorities and values, but only through tracking and categorizing activities will you uncover the reality.
With this knowledge, you can make positive and lasting changes to reduce wasted time and invest more of your precious hours into what matters most.
The clarity a time audit delivers makes the effort incredibly worthwhile.
Whenever you're ready, here's how I can help you:
1-on-1 Creative Career Coaching: A 90 minute call to help you get unstuck in your creative career and reach new heights. Think of it like a therapy session...only we're working to turn your passion into an even more successful profession.